Seven stages in the life of a building
- Twinkle in the clients eye. AMPC advises on budget, sites, accommodation, synergy with existing facilities town
- Developing brief with client. AMPC clarifies with the client the nature of performance and range of types of performance. This leads to the form of the performance space and the amount of supporting accommodation
- Feasibility study. AMPC tests the chosen site against the client brief, agreed schedule of accommodation and implied building massing.
- Performance Space Concept. Based on spatial requirements of the performances and the box office revenue required by the client, AMPC develops the disposition of the audience to have the optimum relationship with the performers. AMPC creates the template for the performance space, for the architects to use in developing building design.
- Theatre Planning of Overall Building. AMPC develops the schedule of accommodation to include adjacencies, levels of building and functional issues of each space. In cases of architectural competition, this is put into a form to be used as a briefing document to the architect.
- Technical Systems Briefing and Budgets. AMPC develops the brief with the client for the technical support that their performances will need and includes some future proofing. From this an initial schedule of equipment can be established which continues to evolve with the design
- Design Development.With the whole design team on board, AMPC supplies the following to each party:
A reiterative process takes place between all parties to evolve the design.
- Initial structural loadings to the technical equipment to the structural engineer
- Initial electrical loadings to the electrical engineer
- Allowance for mechanical zones for the air handling to the architect
- Equipment costs to the quantity surveyor
- Auditorium form, row levels and seating layouts to the architect
- Location of technical equipment within the auditorium and fly tower to team
- Layout of control rooms to architect
- Production Information Once the final layout has been signed off by the client, detailed information can follow. AMPC prepares detailed designs and specifications of performance lighting equipment, sound and communications equipment, stage engineering items and seating.
- Tender Action, Review and Construction Depending on the form of the procurement of the building, the specialist package will form part of the main contract, or be procured separately. AMPC review the tender returns and make recommendations to the client regarding the completeness of the bid.
AMPC attend site meetings and ensure that the installation and site works go according to plan and the final building reflects the details of the design.
- Openings, Programming and Productions. AMPC liaise with the box office and management on any aspects of long term planning. They advise on policy options, staffing issues and management structures and also set up operating systems and estimate opening costs.